The contrasting light on the landscape and surrounding architecture has long been my
inspiration. I love the patterns and textures created by the light of differing seasons. As a fiber artist, I interpreted these elements into my weaving; essentially painting with yarn. Now, my works in oil and pastel are focused once again on the landscapes, seascapes, and skies that have always intrigued me.
There is a rhythm to painting that all artists orchestrate for themselves, a kind of color drenched warp and weft into which painters weave emotional responses to the subject with an individual virtuosity for expression. Dedication to trusting my own responses and love of what I do is woven into my art and my life. I want my paintings to invite the viewer to reflect on the mood, time of day, and the composition that I hope evoke a sense of place to dwell and find comfort.
HISTORY / ASSOCIATIONS
Susan A. Hollis earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Textile Design from Rhode Island School of Design. She worked as a freelance fiber artist for 18 years, completing commissions for corporate clients and exhibiting in galleries throughout New England. Since 1994 she has worked as a professional artist in both oil and pastel. Susan is a Copley Artist at The Copley Society of Boston, a Fellow of The American Artist Professional League in New York, a full member of The Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club in New York and a Master Artist at the Cape Cod Art Association. She has earned Signature memberships in the Pastel Society of America, Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod, Connecticut Pastel Society, and Pastel Painters of Maine.
SELECTED JURIED EXHIBITIONS
• Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod “For Pastels Only” – Cultural Center of Cape Cod, So.
• 20th Annual All Cape Cod @ Chatham Creative Art – Chatham, MA
• CPS 2015 Signature Member’s Show – Lyme Art Association, Old Lyme, CT
• Copley Society -“ Shimmer” – Summer Member Show – Boston, MA
• Eighth Annual Pastels by Invitation Show – Chatham Creative Art – Chatham, MA
• Fourth Annual September Invitational – Chatham Creative Art – Chatham, MA
• Cape Cod Art Association – All New England Exhibition – Barnstable, MA
“Reverie” – 1st Place – Pastel
“Shadow in The Dune Oil” – Best New England Landscape
• Connecticut Pastel Society – Renaissance in Pastel – UConn Stamford Art Gallery, Stamford CT
• American Artist Professional League – 87th Grand National – Salmagundi Club, NY