Sketching on Location: “Perspective” at Barnstable Harbor
Instructor: Erica Szuplat
Day: Saturday, June 3
Price: Members $65/Non-Members $85
Perspective is all about your position in the world, in space. We will go over practices you can use in the field to help you understand what you are seeing, provide a framework for your scene, and to quickly translate that into sketches that have a distinct sense of perspective, place and are filled with objects that have volume. Modified approaches to vanishing points and point perspective will be introduced so you can make accurate sketches that remain lively without getting bogged down in technical preparations.
Unlike traditional landscape, portraiture or still-life classes, this workshop is in the vein of Urban Sketchers, who are committed to sketching on location, with portable materials and in their own style.
This workshop is about uncomplicated sketching in your own style so bring materials with which you feel comfortable or would like to experiment
- At least One type of Sketchbook, larger than pocket size, no larger than 11” x 14” recommended, sketchbooks that open flat are recommended
- At least One graphite pencil and sharpener
- At least One pen (ink, ballpoint, brush pen or marker, color or black)
- One set of color: Portable watercolor sets, (including brushes and water or waterbrush); colored pencils, colored inks, crayons or colored marker
- Optional: eraser, artist’s or blue painter’s tape
Erica M. Szuplat is an oil painter and sketcher based on Cape Cod. For the past three years she has maintained a studio open to the public at Cataumet Arts Center. She is a member of the Falmouth Artists Guild, Freelance Artists Network and is chair of the Falmouth Cultural Council. Erica studied fine art at The Art Institute of Boston and has been sketching daily life for over 20 years. She has sketched at home and abroad in Ireland, Italy, France and Spain and has organized several sketch crawls in Falmouth.