Sketching on Location: “People” at Osterville Village
Instructor: Erica Szuplat
Day: Saturday, August 5
Price: Members $65/Non-Members $85
Where to begin? How to insert people of the appropriate scale? How to create movement or capture someone in motion or give a sense of a crowd scene? These are questions many new sketchers have when working on location. In this session, we address these questions and cover simple ways to get started drawing people, making decisions about what to include, and ways to add detail and develop a sketch of the human subject in a simple setting.
Unlike traditional landscape, portraiture or still-life classes, this workshop is in the vein of Urban Sketchers, who are committed to sketching on location, with portable materials and in their own style.
This workshop is about uncomplicated sketching in your own style so bring materials with which you feel comfortable or would like to experiment
- At least One type of Sketchbook, larger than pocket size, no larger than 11” x 14” recommended, sketchbooks that open flat are recommended
- At least One graphite pencil and sharpener
- At least One pen (ink, ballpoint, brush pen or marker, color or black)
- One set of color: Portable watercolor sets, (including brushes and water or waterbrush); colored pencils, colored inks, crayons or colored marker
- Optional: eraser, artist’s or blue painter’s tape
Erica M. Szuplat is an oil painter and sketcher based on Cape Cod. For the past three years she has maintained a studio open to the public at Cataumet Arts Center. She is a member of the Falmouth Artists Guild, Freelance Artists Network and is chair of the Falmouth Cultural Council. Erica studied fine art at The Art Institute of Boston and has been sketching daily life for over 20 years. She has sketched at home and abroad in Ireland, Italy, France and Spain and has organized several sketch crawls in Falmouth.